Thursday, September 1, 2016

The 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge - September 2016 

Theme: "Taking Stock"

A few days ago I counted all of the unfinished work I had. Can you guess how many paintings were stashed away in my studio? Well, I won't tell you 'til the end of this challenge (HA!), but I can tell you it's enough to do a month-long challenge.  I borrowed the term "Taking Stock" from my favorite living artist, Flora Bowley, in her book "Brave Intuitive Painting", where she describes her process from start to finish. Speaking of finish...here's my first FINISHED piece for this challenge! I hope looking at it brings you as much joy as I had painting it.

September 1st, 2016 

"Exclusion & Future" 
Acrylic on gallery wrapped canvas 
(12"x12")



(below) - Unfinished, where it was left for almost 2 months untouched! Here, there are most likely 5 layers of acrylic on there already. As you can see, the color harmony is all off, there isn't enough contrast, and too much going on. 

                                 

(below) - Still Unfinished, but getting closer to the final version. It's invigorating covering up layers that I've been attached during the process, then uncovering them slightly. There were moments where I said "F* - it...you're getting covered up!" and then, BAM pleasing results. Sometimes you've got to be honest and unattached. 


Check back in tomorrow! 


No comments:

Post a Comment