Saturday, January 9, 2016

Painting Realistically VS. Intuitively

Day 8 and 9 of the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge

Painting realistic for day 8 was a choice I made because I wanted to just see how I would do. I haven't tried it in a while and I am honestly pleased with how much I remember and how sucked into the details I got. The "how to fix this?" question came up a lot and my remedies were not always perfect solutions. There is a lot that I need to gather in my tool kit in the realist department.  There is so much refinement and squinting! Props to all you realist painters out there. I have a lot to learn from you. 


"Baby D in Bright Aqua Green" 
Acrylic on 6" Square Canvas
Available



 Photo Source - Photo Taken By Rachel Hoffman 



Intuitive painting comes to much more naturally to me. It's faster, easier and I am comfortable with it right now as I'm developing my practice. Is that a good thing? I don't know. I feel like as artists, we shouldn't ALWAYS have to be pushing ourselves out of our comfort zone, otherwise that zone would never grow at all! I feel like the technique I keep going back to - the mark making, the  covering up with white or black and the reveal with the colour shaper is so much fun and fluid. It just feels right! Here are the process photos and the result is below: 

I love to look back at old sketchbooks. This chicken sketch caught my eye as I was flipping through the pages. I started my first layer with red, because I was hoping that I could get some bright warm feather colors to pull through after I added my top layer. 

Here's where the fun starts... just playing around doodling with paint!



Adding more colors and covering with thick white. 



Acrylic on 6" Square Canvas
Available  



Thanks for checking in! 

No comments:

Post a Comment